Linked Events

• Ohio State Parks On The Air: September 11, 2010

Author Topic: Ohio State Parks On The Air  (Read 1458 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Very High Frequency Superuser
Ohio State Parks On The Air
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 06:14:36 PM »

Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:52 AM
To:
Subject: Ohio State Parks On The Air

To all: 

As the PIO for the Portage County Amateur Radio Service I am sending this information about the 2010 OSPOTA to all of the contact addresses that I had for Ohio Section affiliated clubs.  This list was compiled a year or two ago by another ham so I apologize if you are receiving this but are no longer the contact person for your club.  If that is the case I would appreciate it if you pass it along to the appropriate person.

We are hoping that you will pass the press release information along to your newsletter editor for the July or August edition, or, even better, send it along to all of your members directly.  This is the third year for OSPOTA and it continues to generate a lot of interest.  We appreciate any assistance that you can provide in getting the word out.  Thanks!

73, Jim, KC8PD
    PIO, PCARS

PRESS RELEASE ? 14 July 2010

PORTAGE COUNTY AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE

The Portage County Amateur Radio Service (PCARS) announces the Third Annual Ohio State Parks On The Air Contest to be held on Saturday, September 11, 2010, from the hours of noon to eight p.m. EDT (1600Z to 2400Z).
For hams throughout the State of Ohio this contest presents an opportunity to visit and enjoy the amenities offered by the seventy-four beautiful State Parks here in Ohio.  You can spend the day or even spend the weekend at the park of your choice.  No matter whether you are camping or staying at one of the outstanding lodges or resorts you will find that the parks are one of Ohio?s greatest assets. 
    Find out more about the parks and all that they have to offer at http://tinyurl.com/5ucyxg
This contest places a premium on working stations at the State Parks.  That means that it is critical to have as many parks activated as possible.  The challenge for Ohio stations will be to work HF in the 50 to 300 mile range.  Contacts can be made with any mode on the HF and VHF bands: 80, 40, 20, 15, 10, 6 and 2 meters and all contacts have the same point value.  This is a great chance to try something new, like an NVIS antenna or two meter SSB.
Individuals and clubs can operate high or low power park stations and there is a special award for the club that activates the greatest number of parks!  Non-park stations in Ohio as well as outside of Ohio can also compete with each other.
So get to an Ohio State Park and get On The Air in September.  Have some fun with this contest! 
You can get complete information, including rules, forms and FAQ?s, at http://parks.portcars.org, or contact the contest chairman, Chuck, W8PT, at w8pt@portcars.org.  Check back at the web site for announcements about updates and prizes.